WestRock Switcher in Winston, North Carolina
About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com .
5900 Grassy Creek Boulevard Winston-Salem, NC 27105
* Summary * * : *
The Switcher position is responsible for moving trailers within a designated area and assisting as a Material Handler as needed.
* Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: *
Move trailers from specified dock areas as instructed by the Warehouse Team Leader, using commercial driving skills to maneuver at varying speeds in tight loading dock areas.Safely couple and uncouple trailers in designated safe area.Inspect trailers for defects and safety before switching.Perform all Material Handler duties.Maintain a safe working environment, assuring that common carriers and contracted switchers and drivers are following all safety policies and procedures.Report all accidents involving drivers and/or company equipment immediately.Responsible for the overall Safety and cleanliness of equipment and area.Work in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with company policies and procedures.Overtime is required.Perform other duties as assigned.
* Supervisory Responsibilities: *
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
* Competencies: *
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
* Safety - * Includes following safety rules and regulations, working to create and maintain good housekeeping, knowledge and use of safety equipment, active participation in safety effort, attending safety meetings, confronting others regarding safety, reporting incidents and near misses, correcting unsafe conditions.
* Quality * - Evaluates the ability of employee to produce superior products or services, meeting all specifications and expectations, free of errors or waste. Includes accuracy, following correct procedures, such as, GMP, SOP, ISO requirements, performing all quality checks, complete and legible documentation.
* Knowledge of Field * - Relates to employee’s understanding and knowledge of duties, methods and procedures required by the job. Indicators are troubleshooting skills, technical competence, application of training, thoroughness and efficiency in solving problems, and making progress improvements.
* Accountability/Dependability * - Evaluates the degree to which employee accepts responsibility and follows through on commitments. Indicators are task completion, following procedures, thoroughness, reliability, completion of difficult tasks, working without supervision, acknowledging and correcting own mistakes, facing and resolving conflict.
* Initiative * - Evaluates an employee’s willingness to act on their own to assume new or additional responsibilities, to voluntarily start projects or attempt non-routine tasks. Indicators are self-starting, proactive, energetic, enthusiasm, and ingenuity, willingness to try, innovative, finding a better way.
* Teamwork * - Evaluates the ability of an employee to work cooperatively with others in an interdependent relationship to achieve common goals. Indicators are flexibility and adaptability, cooperation, listening, group problem solving, willingness to change, to lead as well as follow, recognizing and utilizing diversity.
* Interpersonal/Culture * - Evaluates the ability to get along with others in an open and respectful manner. Indicators are communication skills, including listening, positive relationships with others, treating others fairly and with respect, openness and honesty, ability to disagree while maintaining good relationships, tolerant of others. Demonstrates the WestRock Key Behaviors: Diligent and acting in a manner consistent with the 4 key behaviors: (1) create an environment of respect and trust for our co-workers and customers, (2) empower and engage our co-workers to improve our performance and lower our cost, (3) satisfy our customers every time, and (4) do the right thing for WestRock – always.
* Productivity/OEE Competency * - Evaluates one’s effectiveness in producing expected quantities of work relative to standards and expectations, including effort, utilization of time, materials, and supplies. Indicators include the quantity and quality of work, the absence of rework and waste, utilization of resources, safe work behaviors, preplanning, and anticipating problems. Manufacturing employees will also be evaluated based on the following: Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) takes into account the various sub-components of the manufacturing process. Availability, viewed as a snapshot of the current production efficiency for a machine, line or cell. OEE = (A)vailabilty x (P)erformance x (Q)uality. Expressed another way: Related Machine Speed (P) x Crewed Hours (A)/ Good Sheets Out (Q). This section evaluates the employee’s performance to maximize the OEE on his/her machine.
* Attendance/Punctuality * - Includes being present and ready for work as expected. Indicators are attendance records, number of times tardy, frequency of lateness returning from scheduled breaks or meal times, work readiness, and preparedness to begin work on time. (Three unexcused tardies equals one unexcused absence)
* Procedures/Documentation/Reporting * - Refers to the importance of following procedures, carefully and thoroughly documenting critical activities, including training, and to the accurate reporting of information. Indicators include the following established procedures, documenting essential processes, preparing accurate, timely, legible, and complete reports. Communicating as needed with others in the organization.
* Coaching/Leading * - Evaluates the employee’s ability and skill to positively influence others to achieve Company goals and expectations, regardless of one’s position or title. Indicators include: effective planning and coordination of work, delegation and follow through, exhibiting and promoting confidence, supportive of company views and policies, self-directed initiative, acceptance of responsibility, effective use of time, materials, supplies, and personnel; patience, flexibility, adaptability, assists with training and desires to help others succeed, effective problem solving and decision making skills.
* Qualifications *
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or GED minimum.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.May require the ability to write routine reports and correspondence.May require the ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of and basic computer skills.
* Other Qualifications *
Position requires a valid Class A Commercial Driving License and two years driving experience within the last five years in local or over the road driving positions. Must have proficient math skills, good interpersonal and communication skills.
* Physical Demands / Work Environment *
The physical demands described in the Task Development Worksheet are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described in the Task Development Worksheet are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.