WestRock 3rd Shift Quality Technician in Lansing, Michigan
About WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 45,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 300 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com .
3rd Shift Quality Technician - Lansing, MI
5800 West Grand River Ave
Lansing, Michigan, 48906
The Lansing location is seeking a Quality Technician to Inspect, audit and report on material processes and products. Provide expert QC support to operations by performing in-process and final inspections. Have the ability to perform and document visual, dimensional and functional inspection of raw material, in-process, finished product and returned materials.
How you will impact WestRock
• Performs in-process inspections and advise operations on status of jobs, verbally or in writing.
• Communicates, in a professional manner, the acceptability of product and action for handling of nonconforming product by defining levels of acceptance for quality defects using samples, drawings and/or definitions and ANSI recommendations.
• Sets up and manages sorts of internal or returned nonconforming product.
• Writes procedures for quality functions.
• Facilitates the development of procedures for other departments as needed.
• Provides start and end approvals as required.
• Performs final inspections of product and review batch records to approve shipment of product as required.
• Performs tests / studies for management as required.
• Facilitates root cause analysis of internal non-conformances.
• Performs Effectiveness Reviews on Internal and Customer Corrective Actions
• Answers operator’s questions about the Product Process Quality System.
• Interacts with Managers, Supervisors and Operation Specialists via phone, in person and in writing for quality inspection requirements, sorts, containment of nonconforming product.
• Provides training to production / company employees on Quality documents.
• Locates and accesses quality records and retrieves specific information from these records.
• Suggests quality system improvements. Clarifies and simplifies existing Quality System documentation.
• Actively promotes a positive quality culture.
• Participates in root cause analysis of customer complaints. Follows-up and records corrective actions.
• Analyzes and trends internal nonconformance’s and customer complaints, and internal audit results.
• Interacts with customers, in writing, over the phone and in person.
• Attends customer meetings and participates in customer audits.
• Travels to customer facilities to train their employees or to sort nonconforming product.
• Clarifies and simplifies existing Quality System documentation relating to product or process.
• Attends meetings for introduction of new product/process.
• Performs other job duties as assigned.
What you need to succeed
• Must have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
• Must have 6 months to 1 year of related experience.
• Must have intermediate personal computer skills, including demonstrated aptitude with database, spreadsheet, graphic, word processing and e-mail programs.
• Must understand and be able to use a Micrometer, the Blood Test Kit, Calipers, Sutherland Rub Test machine, calibration equipment, Stratix Bar Code Readers, Chantillion Digital Force Gage, Densitometer and Inspection Guides.
• Must be able to focus and retain an attention to detail in a loud and distracting environment.
• Must be able to give direction to others through training, motivation, review or feedback of assigned tasks. A high level of communication skills are needed.
• Must have working knowledge of gauge utilization.
• Must be able to read two and three syllable words and to recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers.
• Must be able to read, write, and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondences and memos.
• Must be able to effectively present information in one-on –one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
• Must be able to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community.
• Must be able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
• Must be able to write routine reports and business correspondences.
• Must be able to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations.
• Must be able to effectively present information to top management, public groups and/or boards of directors.
• Must demonstrate an understanding of departmental and company documentation.
• Must understand department workflow and productions methods.
• Must have the ability to perform basic arithmetic including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
• Must be able to maintain good attendance.
• Must be willing to work overtime.
• Must pass basic reading test.
• Must have the ability to meet and/or pass the minimum requirement on a mechanical test or have demonstrated mechanical aptitude through prior work experience.
• Must pass color vision and color hue tests.
• Must be able to perform all essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation.
What we offer
Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.
3rd Shift Quality Technician